Street food is a staple in many cultures around the world, providing a delicious and convenient way to try new flavors and experience the local cuisine. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or just planning your first foodie trip, this guide will help you discover some of the best street food around the world.
- Tacos in Mexico: From traditional corn tortillas filled with savory meats and salsas, to modern takes on the classic taco, street food in Mexico is a must-try for any food lover. Try tacos al pastor, made with marinated pork and pineapple, or tacos de pescado, filled with crispy fish and topped with fresh lime.
- Pad Thai in Thailand: This popular dish, made with stir-fried rice noodles, vegetables, and your choice of protein, can be found on street corners and night markets throughout Thailand. Look for vendors who make their pad Thai fresh to order and be sure to try the famous pad Thai from the street vendors at Khao San road in Bangkok.
- Falafel in Egypt: These deep-fried balls of ground chickpeas and spices are a staple street food in Egypt. They are usually served in a pita with tahini sauce, tomatoes, and onions. A must-try place to find falafel is in Cairo’s famous “Falafel Street” in Downtown.
- Pho in Vietnam: This traditional noodle soup is a popular street food in Vietnam. The broth, made from simmering beef or chicken bones for hours, is served over rice noodles and topped with your choice of protein, herbs, and chili sauce. Try pho on the streets of Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi for a truly authentic experience.
- Currywurst in Germany: This popular street food, a combination of bratwurst sausage and curry-flavored ketchup, is a must-try for any food lover visiting Germany. Currywurst can be found at street vendors and food trucks throughout the country, but the best place to try it is in Berlin, where it originated.
- Kebabs in Turkey: Whether you prefer chicken, beef, or lamb, kebabs are a delicious and convenient street food to try in Turkey. They are usually served in a pita with tomatoes, onions, and a yogurt sauce. The best place to find kebabs is in Istanbul, in the streets of the historic area of Sultanahmet.
No matter where you’re traveling, street food is a great way to experience the local cuisine and culture. From Mexico to Turkey, these dishes offer a delicious taste of the world’s best street food. So, next time you’re planning a foodie trip, make sure to include some street food on your itinerary. Happy eating!